The entrance of Monte Dei Paschi di Siena is seen in San Gusme near Siena, Italy, September 29, 2016. REUTERS
MILAN, March 28 (Reuters) – Italian market watchdog Consob has ruled out that any of the three slates of nominees ​filed for the board of Monte dei ‌Paschi di Siena (MPS) could be deemed illegitimate, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said.
The person said Consob, in ​close consultation with the European Central Bank, ​had dismissed a complaint filed by MPS’s board on ⁠Thursday regarding a slate submitted by small investor PLT ​Holding intended to hand CEO Luigi Lovaglio another mandate.
The ​source said Consob was keen to dispel any residual doubts given the wording of an MPS statement on Friday which ​spoke of “preliminary” interactions with authorities.
MPS’s statement said that, based on ​these preliminary contacts and information received so far, all the slates ‌of ⁠board candidates were legitimate.
Instead, Consob’s position is final, the source stressed.
The regulator wants investors to have full clarity on the matter, given that governance advisers are ​working on ​the voting ⁠recommendations they will give to shareholders ahead of the April 15 vote to ​elect a new board and CEO at ​the ⁠bank.
PLT has challenged the slate filed by the MPS board, which is trying to unseat Lovaglio and replace ⁠him ​with Fabrizio Palermo, currently the CEO ​of utility Acea.
A third slate has been filed by fund manager ​association Assogestioni.

Reporting by Valentina Za, editing by Gavin Jones